4.20.2009

Divide and dissolve

So here I was in Bellingham for one of my week-end visits, made more frequent of late by the combination of a long-distance relationship and cheap airfare. The week-end had passed well and it was Monday, my day of departure. Getting back to the airport was going to be a bit iffy, though, as Michele was back down in Seattle working away and my mom was doing same here in the 'ham. But don't worry - I'd got things all figured out. My sister and Woodley also happened to be up for the week-end; they had driven up the coast, and so would be able to drop me off at the Food Co-Op, whence my plan was to meet Brian Russell at The Home and visit a bit before being driven to the airport. Simple enough.

I departed as planned from Liz and Woodley at the Food Co-Op. I began walking up the street towards The Home, but was arrested in that purpose next to the WECU by one Monica Simmons, a friend from back in high school whom I haven't seen in simply ages. We fell to chit-chat, and before I knew it a passing postal worker was calling my name. It just so happened that I had paused in the very route of BJ, a pal from my post-college Bible study. After a brief exchange of hails he was back to work, but a moment or two later, yes, a tap on the shoulder, and the one and only Evan Day, a family friend and fellow Flying Colorist, was standing before me. That makes five - Liz, Woodley, Monica, BJ, and Evan - in as many minutes. Adding in the fact that after a bit more chit-chat I would return from this serendipitous street corner to my original plan of meeting Brian Russell, I figure that I've set a new P.R. for happening across friends from all the different walks and times of my life.

I feel that, over time, this blog is becoming a trifle Bellingham-heavy, and I have a vague feeling that this trend should be avoided. It's not truly representative of my life these days -- I certainly don't spend hours each day pining away for the motherland -- nor is it all that interesting subject matter, for who really wants to hear me lament my elsewhereness? Nevertheless, the High Street Coincidence has somewhat renewed my desire to find a way home again, since where else than Bellingham do things like that occur?

Where else indeed. As soon as I landed I was given a ride back from the Oakland Airport by Jeff Widman.


Music of the moment:

Waterdeep's recent album, Pink And Blue, manages a thing that few albums can in that it is both a bit of a disappointment and it is one of my most listened-to albums week after week. How do these two facts coexist? Well, the truth (by which I mean my opinion) is that Waterdeep write excellent songs, even when the complex arrangements and virtuosic fretcraft of yore are replaced with a misguided candy-coating of DIY production tricks. What I'm trying to say is: buy this album, but buy Sink or Swim and To Chase Away The Birds first.

In other news, I've been listening to Tower Of Power's older stuff quite a bit recently. Urban Renewal and Back to Oakland are both smokin' soul-funk. If you've never heard them before, these albums are highly recommended. Cue the Pandora.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is Hannah Bevills, Editor for Christian.com which is a social network made specifically for Christians, by Christians, to directly fulfill Christian's needs. We embarked on this endeavor to offer the ENTIRE christian community an outlet to join together as one (no matter denomination) and better spread the good word of Christianity. Christian.com has many great features aside from the obvious like christian TV, prayer request or even find a church/receive advice. We have emailed you because we have interest in collaborating with you and your blog to help us spread the good word. I look forward to an email regarding the matter, Thanks!

God Bless
|Hannah Bevills|Christian.com|
hannah.bevills@gmail.com

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home