1.07.2006

Look! An egress!

Once again I find myself keeping same awake by going through my friends' blogs and xangas. And once again I am going to draw material from Jenny's (hi Jenny!), because it is just so much fun. In fact, I'm not in a particularly creative mood, so this entire post will consist of an excerpt and my comment; the former, because it probes deep the mind of the g.s., and the latter, because I think it's a nice little vignette and worth republishing.

(Excerpt from December 13 post on the subject of random observations)
"During one of my last interviews there was this Iranian/Canadian kid who kept annoying me. Not because he was annoying, but because every time we approached a door he would step out and open it, and insist that I go first. And then every time we reached an elevator he would stick his arm out to block the elevator from closing and insist that I go through before he did. So maybe "annoying" isn't the word I was looking for. I was touched by the thought. But it felt so weird!"

(End excerpt, segue to response.)
Wait - that sort of thing can be viewed as abnormal? Odd? ... Annoying? I was once indirectly chastized for not holding the door open for a lady; it was bright outside and my eyes didn't adjust until after I had entered the building and had not held the door open for the woman who was attempting to pass through in the opposite direction but whose progress seemed to be being hindered by a rather obstructive me. As I remember, she muttered something about the youth of today and brushed out. Conclusion: the choice for a graceless fellow is one between annoying others and causing them to see you as the youth of today. Oh bother.

(Back to the present.)
Any thoughts from out there in radioland? In the words of Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast?stop projector, discuss film.


Music of the moment: Right now I'm in the process of loading a bunch of CDs onto the home laptop. Currently being ripped is The Violet Burning's 1998 album "Demonstrates Plastic And Elastic". This is far, far, far and away the band's best album, and consequently the radio will only play songs from their others. Grr KLOV.

CGR: 2.0

1 Comments:

Blogger throughWaters said...

I've heard it called "chivalry" so I'll use that term.

I've definitely come across women who appreciate chivalry and respect men who show it. But I've also met women who behave as if they have something to prove and are offended by the idea of any kind of special treatment·

The city I live in is supposedly the "City of Gentlemen" and it's common practice to give up a seat on the bus for a woman if the others seats are full. It's unheard of to not walk on the steet-side of the sidewalk when walking with a woman.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home